Based in Johannesburg, South Africa
'zX - Hyperblast' is a melee focused, free-roaming adventure shmup. Pilot your small, but formidable craft through swarms of foul monstrosities and cybernetic juggernauts, carving a path of destruction through the games cavernous levels. Master your ship’s flexible, dual-type hybrid gun system and make short work of your enemies. Turn the intimidating maelstrom of enemy bullets to your advantage by deflecting them back to your foes with the ships powerful twin-blade attack, simultaneously fueling your insanely powerful hyper-blaster.
Development of 'zX' on began in October 2011. Initially concieved as a simple beginners project, 'zX' has since expanded into a somewhat larger and more polished commercial endeavour.
- Hand-crafted retro-futuristic aethetics
- Bullet-deflecting blades eliminate the need for dodging, providing more reward for aggressive play
- Flexible primary / secondary hybrid gun system features 12 distinct projectile types
- Hub based level progression. Completed levels can be accessed at will
- Satisfying destruction and bullet-hell euphoria
Gameplay Video YouTube
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for zX - Hyperblast. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Awards & Recognition
- "MakeGamesSA showcase rAge 2013" Johannesburg, October 2013
- "Demo showcase A MAZE 2013" Berlin, 24 April 2013
- "It’s a tough little game, but my word, is it ever fun, and so very well presented."
- Chris Priestman, IndieStatik
- "I feel that the game's focus on melee combat differentiates it from many shmups - you really need to master the blade attacks to get anywhere in zX. This feature and the combination of awesome soundtrack and glowy neon visuals totally won me over."
- J. Monkman, Retro Gamer CD
- "This is an intense and satisfying game which should fulfill your need for an arcade shooter."
- John P. Martin, Indie Retro News
- "retroFuture's zX is not like most shmups. Instead of encouraging passive play or requiring the player to dodge a ton of bullets, players should dive straight into the line of fire to reflect enemy shots and power up their hyper gun."
- John Polson, Indiegames.com
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
retroFuture allows for the contents of zX - Hyperblast to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from zX - Hyperblast is legally & explicitly allowed by retroFuture. This permission can be found in writing at http://retro-future.net/press/sheet.php?p=zx_hyperblast.
Retro-futuristic game design and aesthetics. The essence of the old with the technique of the new.
More information on retroFuture, our logo & relevant media are available here.
zX - Hyperblast Credits
Michael de Jager
Lead designer, Art, SFX, Music, Programming
Design, Programming, Business & PR
SFX and Music: Freelance